Thursday, May 25, 2017

Sunshine

Having a child with special needs brings many concerns, and one of those concerns is, "Will my child have genuine friendships?" Last year I began to see a very special friendship blossom, and my concern in this area began to wither away. I now no longer lose sleep thinking and praying about Libby's friendships. In fact, last night I couldn't stop thinking about how thankful and blessed we are that this little girl has befriended Libby.

This little girl immediately bonded with Libby, and they've been two peas in a pod since. She's Libby's Sunshine, I'll refer to the little girl as Sunshine because that's a perfect description of her. She radiates happiness and love everywhere she goes. I've had the privilege of watching Sunshine in many situations, and I'm constantly in awe of how she responds in love and pursues bringing happiness to those around her.

❤❤❤❤❤

One of the things I love most about Sunshine is that she sees, treats, and plays with Libby as another little girl. She doesn't see the labels, hearing aids, braces, and other differences as red flags. She truly sees Libby for who she is, a little girl. Sunshine has an understanding and loving heart that I feel sure is made of pure gold, and I couldn't ask for a better friend for my daughter.

Libby loves Sunshine so much that we watch a video of her singing nearly every day. Libby talks about her often and lights up when she sees Sunshine. I know that Sunshine loves Libby just as much. Today I asked her if she wanted a printed picture of Libby, and she immediately did a happy dance and kissed the picture.

Sunshine cheering Libby on at one of her ballgames.

My mama heart is overflowing with thankfulness and love. I am forever grateful that Sunshine came into our lives and that she is my little girl's person. I'm also thankful that Sunshine has parents who are teaching her that special needs kids are, in fact, just kids. Her parents have been such an encouragement to my family, and we're thankful for their friendship as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment